Here’s a brief history of how I became what I am today – a web designer.
The Early Years
- Stumbled upon some WYSIWYG app on a CD from Bug magazine back in high-school days.
- FrontPage sucks.
- Learning the way websites work almost just as fun as Age of Empires or even Need for Speed.
- Wrapping one table around another to produce a one pixel border.
- Made my first website in Dreamweaver.
- Read about this thing called CSS in summer of 1998. Thought it was rubbish.
- Started taking more interest in web design.
- Dreamt of being online non-stop and not using dial-up.
- Got into a Web Design learning course. Did not learn much but got the confirmation I was heading in the right direction.
- Dumped Paint Shop Pro, fell in love with Photoshop.
- I don’t like you much, Flash.
The “I do not need a Mac” Years
- Switched from Dreamweaver to Notepad. Foolish enough to hand-code over 120 pages of pure HTML in Notepad on my first major job, with no color-coding and no templating system. Did learn a lot from it, though.
- Read Jeffrey Zeldman’s From Table Hacks to CSS Layout: A Web Designer’s Journey in 2001. Eyes opened.
- Switched to Programmers Notepad.
- Created Yesterdayishere in 2004. Designed it in just a few days and built the site while learning WordPress. Bought Yesterdayishere.com in February of 2005.
- Blogging is cool.
- Finally realized I wanted to make websites for a living.
- Got listed in CSS galleries like CSS Beauty, CSS Vault, etc. Crazy traffic.
- Shortstat addiction.
- Daily RFP’s.
- Won the award for the best Croatian personal website, called Rudjer. Look Ma, I’m in today’s papers!1
- Job offers. Several job interviews, but decided to continue working from home. Freelancing kicks ass.
The “Mac is my Best Friend” years
- Client: want to design an iPhone app? Me: never saw an iPhone app, don’t own an iPhone. Client: let’s get you one. Me: alright.
- iPhone is awesome.
- Designed several iPhone apps.
- Finally switched to a Mac in 2008. Why I hadn’t done so sooner, I really don’t know. Kids, get one. It made me a better designer. Best investment I’ve ever made.
- iMac is awesome.
- Siniša: do you know a website that lists the do’s and don’ts in web design? Me: no. A site like that would be useful. Siniša: let’s make one. Me: alright. Created Web Do’s & Don’ts in early 2009. Crazy traffic.
- Got an iPad. You’re guessing this: iPad is awesome. Designing a few iPad apps.
- Love for work still as strong as ever.
The Responsive Years
- Responsive design is the best thing evah!1 RWD feels very much like the tableless revolution.
- Sitting down for days on end is no more. Working standing up!
- Working in a great little international team called neno.
- SMACSS FTW, going modular.
- Dumped Photoshop, in love with Sketch app.